Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Search for a Fall Festival

I love activities. I have learned since becoming a Mom that I love to take my kids out to do things. I am definitely not a home body. Don't get me wrong...I love quiet days at home where play is a high priority and where Hunter takes me on great adventures in our living room through his incredible imagination...but I get stir-crazy really easy.

Since I love getting out with my kids, one of my favorite things to do as a family when Donny is home is to get out all together. Poor Donny...he is out all week, and he probably just wants to be home and rest...and I am always trying to figure out what a fun activity will be for us. Perhaps that's why I LOVED Disney so much last year (among many obvious reasons). I mean...talk about an activity!

Anyway...today, I decided that we were going to crash a fall festival. It didn't matter who was holding it...we were going to find one to attend. I actually said to Donny this afternoon: "Let's find a church's fall festival to crash." Pathetic...but I needed to be around pumpkins and hay just to feel a little like fall here in Florida. A few parameters: 1. It must be free. 2. It must be kid friendly 3. There must be some hope that there would be hay or pumpkins...preferably with a hay ride. With those things in mind, we put our kids down for their afternoon naps, and my Google search began. I knew Oviedo (where we live) was having "Oktoberfest," so that's where I began. $7 per person...NOPE, not that one. BUT...on the seminole county web site, it said something about a Hometown Harvest in Winter Springs (the next small town to our west). Oh Lord...could this be the one? This is what I was really thinking...it was so dramatic...like I was waiting for a treasure to pop up on the computer screen...and there it was...
I found it.

5:30...perfect time...after naps but in plenty of time to go and get home before bed time.
Interactive hayride, Chick-Fil-A Kids Zone, Pumpkin Painting...oh Lord, thank you.

So off we went, arriving right at 5:30 to a pretty hoppin' place. Part of the street was closed off by the Winter Springs town center, tents were full of all kinds of vendors from Farmers' Market to personal embroidery to a myriad of chiropractors (who, of course, told Donny his back was in terrible condition)...but they all had candy...and that made Hunter (and us) happy. He got a plastic bag from one of the first booths we visited, and then the candy/booth hopping began.

We visited every booth, I soaked up the cooler (high 70s/low 80s), overcast weather, and we just strolled the Winter Spring Hometown Harvest. It was a delight to this Tennessee mother's heart who just wanted a little fall fun for her family today. We topped the afternoon off with a hay ride...which we squeezed in right before the rain began. Thank you, Lord, for the hay ride before the rain. If only we had time to see the "Country Western Stiltwalkers" before the rain...but you can't have it all.


The night ended at Chick-Fil-A where we got Hunter and Millie kids meals from free coupons from the festival. All my prerequisites were satisfied...free...kid friendly...hay and pumpkins...and free Chick Fil A to top it off.

I know it's a simple afternoon out for most...but to me, it was a soul refreshing taste of home. For a few minutes, I was surrounded by southern hospitality, the smell of hay, a little boy with a bag full of candy, a hayride through a tiny "field" surrounded by tall trees, my family (kids dressed in Tennessee outfits, of course), and a heart full of thankfulness for the blessing of the treasure I found today in Winter Springs. A Hometown Harvest...where, for a moment, I felt at home.

Daddy and Hunter on the HayRide
Hunter was more interested in his treat bag than the ride itself.

Mommy and Millie...Millie obviously occupied with the little boy
across from us whose face was painted like a tiger.


Hunter at the Winter Springs Fountains

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

How awesome that God knows the desires of our heart and delights to give His children gifts...like this precious little Fall Festival! I'm so glad you got a little taste of Fall down in Florida!