Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Icky-Ow and Melmo

Millie and Hunter probably watching "Icky Ow" or "Melmo"

I don't know why, but God has chosen to give me children who talk long before they walk. Both Hunter and Millie waited until 16 months to learn to walk. Millie is now 17 months old and has only been walking steadily for a few weeks.

But, boy, do my kids talk...and I love it. For this mom who an be a bit of a talker herself, it is so much fun to start even the smallest conversations with Millie...and quite profound conversations with Hunter.

Today I felt the urge to document some of Millie's words. I am a scrapbooker, but I am often behind and forget the details once I get around to actually scrapbooking their little lives. Sooo...this is more for me than it is for anyone reading this...but enjoy anyway. The parentheses are the translations of what she is saying.

Words Millie has had for a while: Mommy, Daddy, No (a favorite), Mimi (My mom - she got that one after a trip to Chattanooga in July), nana (banana), Bubba (our neighbor's dog...whose name she now attributes to most animals except for cows and cats - see below)

Recent developments: Up, Down, Memo (Nemo), Melmo (Elmo), Pease (Please), Meeeeel (Milk...it stands for anything to drink), shoe, choo-choo, bubble, bumble (for Hunter's Transformer Toy - Bumblebee), moo (cow), me-ow (cat)

Words she is working on: Hu-tee (I think it's Hunter), Icky-Ow or sometimes Icky-Mow (Mickey Mouse)

Today we went to church for Bible Study, and she walked into the nursery. Her first words? Au-dee (her little friend, Audrey Little). It was fun for her to recognize, know, and verbalize the name of a friend.

I am so thankful for little talkers. Sometimes I don't think that at 3am when I hear "Mommy" very loudly and clearly...but isn't that what being a Mommy is about?

Also, I really love turning the radio on and trying to find a "rockin' song" for us to have a dance party to. Today, as we were driving to the gym, we heard Chris Brown's song "Forever." Hunter said: "Mommy, that's where he says "and me." Sure enough...the first few words are "You and me." I need to start listening to what we are really listening to...because he is really picking up on words in songs...and I like a little Top 40 and hip-hop every once in a while...for a Friederichsen Family dance party in the Chevy Venture...the party van.

Thanks for humoring my desire to record these memories. Good night.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Thanks for this update!! I love to share in this, since we're not there to see it!!

Love to your family, we need to catch up ASAP!!