Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy 7th Birthday, Hunter!

Seven?! Wow. Seven.

We celebrated Hunter's seventh birthday last Wednesday, September 14, here in the Bahamas. It was a great day. We started with birthday donuts. They were a little dense here in the Bahamas. No Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme here (sniff, sniff), but we kept the tradition alive by ordering from a local bakery.

Hunter is crazy about ocean life right now. Nearly all of his presents and his party revolved around the ocean. Two of his presents that thrilled were two ocean pop-up books - one from Mimi and Ddad (my parents) and one that Hunter bought here with some money that Grandma and Grandpa (Donny's parents) sent. Man, there are some good pop-up books out there. Last year, his Star Wars pop-up book was the prize present. Who knew these things would be such a hit? They really are incredible. If they are anything like his Star Wars book last year, he'll still be talking about them and using them a year from now.

We met some friends at a local restaurant for dinner and cake. Hunter specifically requested that we have his party at "Port Lucaya" at the Unexso pool. You'll see the pics, but it is a great poolside restaurant right on the local tourist port here. It's a super fun place to have dinner and swim in the evening. The sunset is beautiful as well.

Hunter requested a cookie cake, so I googled "homemade cookie cake," found a recipe, and off I went. Having never made his birthday cake before, I was a little nervous. The Lord has given me a sweet friend here in Freeport in Alicia. She made an awesome horse cake for her daughter this summer, so I enlisted her help to decorate my cookie cake. I really can't tell you how my heart lept when she brought the cake in for Hunter's party. It was perfect. Birthday cakes are so important to me. I don't know why. I guess it's the biggest reminder to me of what the theme was, what the kids were into at the time, and it's a special way to celebrate them with their name on their very own cake. I have loved every cake I have had for the kids' birthdays, but the most memorable for Hunter have been the ones that my sister made for his first and second birthdays and now the one Alicia decorated for birthday number 7. Amazing.

Hunter, you are so much fun. You love to read, write, and draw. Your reading amazes me. You read far beyond what I have taught you. I do love teaching you and seeing you learn things firsthand. I don't know if I will teach you throughout your school years, but I will enjoy these years with you at home while I can. We all love your shaggy long hair right now...so handsome. Recently, you topped off your island look with a shark tooth necklace. So cool. All the girls here in Freeport are crushing on you. You're the only boy your age at our church, so you get plenty of attention from the ladies (yikes!). You love snorkeling and fishing with your dad and love all things that have to do with the ocean and ocean life. You have your checklist of things you want to see in the water while we are here. I have no idea what they are, but you are checking them off little by little. I think "nurse shark" is up next.

You love your sister and little brother. You are a champ at making Will smile. You are generous, creative, and caring. I love the little man that I am watching you become. I thank God for giving you to our family seven years ago. You are a gift. I treasure you so very dearly.

A habit we have started recently is me singing a song and scratching your back before you go to sleep. You choose the same song every night: "Good Night, My Someone" from the Music Man (you don't know it's from the Music Man...it's just your favorite bedtime song). It is one of the first solos I ever auditioned for as a child, and I love that you love that song. Millie rotates her requests, but you ask for that one every night. I love those few moments we share together as you drift off to sleep.

Happy Birthday, Hunter Levi. We love you so much.

Birthday Donuts - A Friederichsen Family Tradition




Ocean Pop-Up Book - So cool!


Incredible Birthday Cake - I still get giddy looking at the picture. So special.


Blowing out the candles


So thankful for very fun friends here in Freeport


Goody Bags - I was feeling very accomplished having used
Pinterest for the first time to find the idea for these bags.



My friend, Alicia - cake decorator extraordinaire!


Thank you, Lord, for our dear family
and for our sweet seven year old.


A wonderful day topped off with a beautiful sunset.
Thank you, LORD!

3 comments:

volscats said...

What a sweet post. Love the pictures. The last one of the sunset looks like it should be in a magazine.

Alicia said...

so, I saw the comment on fb about the cake, so I had to come over and check out the blog. you are too sweet! I really did have so much fun making it and am glad that it made the day more memorable for you. So thankful for the time the Lord's given us together.

Brooke said...

I cannot believe you have an 8 month old. I cannot believe you have a 7 year old....WHOA...this family is just growing up. I love your sweet Millie too...I remember holding her as a newborn...where has the time gone?!?! I guess I'm about to HAVE a newborn, so obviously some time has passed. Love you, friend!