Monday, September 19, 2011

Will at 8 months - and Wisdom from Dr. Suess


September 2, 2011 - 8 months old

Today I was given the gift of an unexpected phone conversation with a very dear friend. We happened to be on Facebook at the same time, so we took that precious time that is "while the kids are sleeping or otherwise occupied in the middle of the afternoon" and talked for 42 minutes. It was a glorious 42 minutes. We haven't talked in months. That's about how it goes with us. BUT we picked right back up where we left off. That's also how it goes with us. Aren't those types of friends the best? We haven't lived in the same city in over four years, yet we are as close as we were when we lived just down the road.

Anyway, our baby boys are just a few months apart in age, so we were talking about them getting bigger, reaching milestones, and mourning the soon-coming end of the baby phase. She shared this quote with me, telling me that she needs to post it somewhere where she can see it: Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. Oh, what rich and timely words for me today. I have been feeling that conflict since Will was born. His birth was so traumatic that I have soaked up everyday we've had, and I have not taken these days for granted. BUT I feel that inner tension, that sadness that these baby days are coming to an end. Life with him (and all our children and my husband and my friends and family) is such a gift. I am thankful for that reminder today, and I am thankful that today happened...complete with its drool-covered onesies, cheerios all over the seat from missing his face, early waking from a leaky diaper, and all the silly tongue filled grins while his first tooth is coming in. So glad they happened. So glad he happened. I admit, I am still sad that baby days seem to be passing quickly, but I am smiling now, thankful for the reminder that these days are a gift. I am so glad God has seen fit to give them to our family.

Now...on to sweet William. He is 8 1/2 months old. What?! How did he get this big? At eight months, Will has added squash, sweet potatoes, rice cereal and Cheerios to his solid food repertoire. The Cheerios are more of a game at this point, but he gets a few of them in his mouth every once in a while. He is still nursing 6 times/day. I am still waking him at bedtime for a dream feed. His afternoon naps are lengthening, and we are dropping the evening catnap. Sooo...he is napping a good morning nap, a late morning catnap, and a long afternoon nap. Since he is cutting his first tooth (appeared last night), he is waking more at night. I hope this phase passes, because I like uninterrupted sleep. Oh well, give it 18+ years, and I might get some consistent, uninterrupted sleep. Maybe.

Will continues to be so smiley, sweet, and cuddly. He is sitting stronger in his Bumbo and high chair, but he is not sitting on his own yet. Just like his brother and sister, he is not going to break any records with physical milestones. That is just fine with me. Hunter still holds the key to make him laugh and smile the most, but he pretty much smiles for anyone. Such a sweet boy. I haven't had him weighed since 6 months, so I have no idea how much he weighs, but he has grown so much since we have been in the Bahamas. I love going to wake him in the mornings or after naps. I always get a huge grin usually with some leg thumps on the crib mattress. He is not attached to a blankie, but he does snuggle right into me and suck his left thumb when I drape one of his Aden and Anais blankets over my shoulder. I melt. It is such a thrill and honor to be his Mommy.

Still working on sitting up...sweet little guy.


One of my favorite places - with Will on my left hip
snuggling in with his thumb in his mouth.

Donny getting some giggles from Will

And Hunter, our "Grinmaster" - He can always get Will to smile.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Kim, that quote is perfect for me! I'm going to write that down so I don't forget it. I always get so sentimental about the passing of time, especially with birthdays and the baby year. Will is such a cutie! Wish I could meet him.

volscats said...

Love this quote. Love this post. Wish our boys could meet and play together.