Saturday, July 02, 2011

William Oliver - 6 Months Old

July 2, 2011 - 6 months old

Six months. Still so in love. Even now just thinking about what to type about Will I am getting teary-eyed. Each of my children is so very special to me. My journey with Will has left me the most exposed. It took this third child to break me of my thoughts that I have it all together. Cause I don’t…and I thought I did with Hunter and Millie. If you are reading this and knew me when Hunter and Millie were babies, I’m sorry if I seemed like I knew everything and had it all together. I don’t.

Will is such a sweetheart at six months. I am taking him next week to have him weighed, but I think he is doing well in terms of nursing and growing. I haven’t been truly confident of his nursing/weight gain one single day of these six months, but our pediatrician has always said he is right where he should be. I haven’t been supplementing with anything in this last month, so his weight check next week should tell me if all is well…which I really, really hope (and think) it is.

Just over a week ago Will found his toes. It’s one of my favorite baby discoveries. I think it’s so funny when they get amused with themselves, and right now his toes amuse him. He can reach and grab most any toy we dangle in front of him. He's not a big fan of tummy time. He doesn’t complain. He just assumes the sleep position. That’s how Hunter and Millie were too, so he’ll get around to hanging out on his belly eventually.

Will is still nursing during the day about every 3 hours. That is VERY different from my experience with Hunter and Millie. By 6 months, they were eating every four hours and eating 5 times per day. Will eats every three hours and gets about 6 (sometimes 7 feedings) per day. He doesn’t always wake up to eat, so he could probably go longer between feedings, but I have been questioning my milk supply, so I have been feeding him more frequently during the day to make sure he is getting enough. He has had a hard time falling asleep at night since we moved to the Bahamas, and I have figured out that nursing him to sleep almost always helps. Yes, you read it, I have been (on occasion) nursing him to sleep (gasp)…even if it’s not time to eat (double gasp). And if he wakes up in the middle of the night (which thankfully has decreased in frequency since we got here), I get up to nurse him. There’s not much he’s crying out these days. He’s my third. We’ve had a rough go of it, and I would rather help soothe him with cuddles and nursing rather than letting him cry it out. Will I pay for it down the road? I really don’t think so, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I really could sit and stare at him all day. His eyes are so big and beautiful. His smiles and noises are thrilling. I still feel like I could burst.

Sweet Will, I love you more than I can say. Six months ago right now I was gathering things to head to the hospital not really believing that it was time for you to come. God, in his sovereignty and grace, knew that it was time. He knew that I needed to be broken and have my heart exposed in ways that could only come with you surprising us with an early arrival. I hold you tighter and snuggle with you longer because of our surprising journey. I was going to call it “not normal,” but it has been God’s normal for us. You and your timing was God’s very best for us. As we enter an uncertain time for our family and Daddy seeking a pastoral call, I pray I will draw on what I have learned from God’s timing and plan with you to know that God’s timing and plan for us with this new stage of life will be perfect. I am so thankful I have you to hold everyday as a reminder of his good plans. I love you, dear Will. My heart overflows and words cannot express. I have been surprised by how much love I could feel for you. Happy six months. They have been six of the hardest and sweetest months I have known, and I treasure every moment of your sweet life.

January 2, 2011 - 5 weeks, 1 day early...

...perfect in God's timing.

April 2, 2011 - 3 months old

July 2, 2011 - Hunter - 6 1/2, Will - 6 months, Millie - 4

What a blessing you are to your Mommy. I love you so much.

No comments: