Saturday, July 09, 2011

Today was a Great Day

Today was a great day. I needed a great day. I have had some good days here and some bad days here, but today was a great day. Two weeks ago, I was lying in the floor of my closet in the fetal position bawling and crying out: “I hate this place. I want to go home!” I have had some hard days here in the Bahamas. No, it is not all frolicking on the beach and enjoying the peace and quiet of island life…but today was…and it was great.

We spent most of the morning and into the early afternoon at Taino Beach Resort. It was wonderful. We went there for breakfast two weeks ago, but a storm rolled in while we were eating, and we were unable to enjoy the resort. If you patronize the restaurant, you can use the resort. We went back today to “cash in” on our breakfast deposit we made two weeks ago.

Our first stop (with rain coming in slowly…boo) was the pool. Found a shady spot for Will to nap, found a covered area for me to lounge and read, and Donny went exploring the pool area with the big kids. It was great. I got to relax in the shade in the middle of this beautiful resort, and it was wonderful. I am made for resorts.

The cloud cover started to clear after about an hour, so we headed to the beach. Again, wonderful. We found a shaded umbrella/hut/cabana-like area where we could park our stuff. By the time we got out to the beach, Will was ready for nap #2, so I laid out a towel, and off he went into “La La Land.” I wasn’t too far behind. The boys headed out to snorkel, Millie played happily on the beach, and after playing with Millie a little, I set up shop in a lounge chair with my book.

The beach was pretty. The water was beautiful. It was a postcard moment.

Then my postcard changed…to one of those sketchy ones you seen in a run-down beach trinket shop, because the gal in the cabana next to ours decided to tan topless. Really? The boys stayed out in the water the whole time, so there was no harm done, but I really could have done without topless Tammy. I understand that it’s culturally acceptable in some places, and that’s fine, but it does not seem to be the norm here. It’s funny. I felt like a mother hen making sure that I was ready to hop up to ask her to cover up if Donny and Hunter headed back. Unfortunately, I felt a little stressed about it, so I wasn’t as relaxed as I would like at that point. Oh well. It was still a great day.

We headed from the beach to the supermarket to get fun beverages for the family. In the States my post-beach routine is to get a Slurpee from 7-11. Since that is not possible here, we went to the market, I took the kids in, and they got to choose their very own 20oz. bottle (a very special treat in our family). Millie chose Grape Fanta, and Hunter chose Strawberry Fanta. I, of course, got a Diet Coke and got Donny a Ginger Ale. It was fun to let the kids pick whatever they wanted. An added treat on this very great day.

Once home, we declared no naps and let the kids watch a movie. They chose a “Tom and Jerry” video (they LOVE Tom and Jerry), we put Will down, and I headed to the grocery. Not my favorite part of the day but oh so much better when I’ve been relaxing resort-style all morning.

We had dinner together. The kids are in bed, and here I am blogging. Thankful for days like today. I have had some hard days and some good days. Today was a great day.

Really sweet...but they never hold hands like this.

Hunter found a tiny frog at the pool.

Beach Buddies

Donny and Hunter heading out to snorkel

Trying to make it into more pics.
Hunter was the only one willing to pose with me today. Sweet him.

Under our "umbrella" - Will napping on the left, Donny and the kids out in the ocean, and my lounge chair awaiting me...aaaaahhhhh.

The view from my chair. Aaaaaahhhhhh. What a great day.



3 comments:

Christi said...

FUN! And the kids are so hip all decked out in their beach attire. I hope they remember this season for years to come.

Sheri said...

So happy for your relaxing day! Sounds like it was wonderful! Time with family and some spectacular views!

volscats said...

Love the pic of Will sleeping! WHat great pictures.