Saturday, July 02, 2011

Bahamian Soccer Camp

(Written on Thursday, June 30, 2011)

Hunter began soccer camp on Monday. It is a Bahamian camp led by a traveling British group. We didn’t hear about it until last Saturday, talked with Hunter about it on Sunday, and sent him on Monday. It lasts from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. He’s never done any one activity like that for such a long stretch of time, so we were curious as to how he would like it and handle it. He’s done great! He has made some friends (which is great, because he is the only boy his age at church), so I am looking forward to getting a few phone numbers from those families to try to get the boys together once camp is over. I think he has enjoyed the independence. Even today, on day 4, I still wanted to hug him a little longer before he headed across the field to start the day with his team. I could tell that he was trying to humor me but was also ready for me to go (sniff, sniff).

One of the great benefits of soccer camp has been the quality time I have had with Millie (and Will) this week. While Will has napped, Millie and I have had a great time doing her nails, letting her paint with a new art set, making lunch for Daddy, going to the beach…and just enjoying the car rides to and from camp. Donny had the morning off today, so we took her and Will out for lunch at KFC and then to explore the city a little. It was a fun time enjoying our little girl in ways that you just can’t when siblings are competing for attention.

(continued writing this morning, Saturday, July 2, 2011)

I have been having a hard time finding a groove here in Freeport. The days are hot, and there is not much indoor fun to be had here. Since we did not bring a lot of toys with us from home, the kids get bored easily. My creativity is certainly being tested. Soccer camp came at a great time. It forced me into a daily routine, and it forced me to get into town on a daily basis where I could learn the city and the grocery stores a little better. I even got my gas tank filled (which is different…they have gas attendants that do it for you). I also found a few unexpected sales at the stores which, of course, thrilled my deal seeking heart.

It has been a good week. VBS at church awaits us next week. I will be thankful for another week of a routine. I also look forward to quiet mornings with Will.

I am really proud of Hunter. This was a big week which could have been really hard for him. He had a great attitude all week. He told us all about learning how to dribble and kick the ball better. He enjoyed lunches of pizza, hot dogs, and chicken and rice (random). He got to drink lots of punch and other sugary drinks we normally don't let him drink in such large quantities (very proud he got to have his own bottles of them). He was sure to tell me when he chose to play soccer with the big kids rather than take a break to go swim. He confidently ran across the field on that first morning to join the group of 6-18 year olds. My little boy still needs me...but not as much as he used to...and he'll need me even less as he grows. I know he'll always need me...but he is growing up. I love watching it, and it makes me sad at the same time. Lord, grow my boy into a man who loves you and others. Help him be strong and caring, know right and do it, and rely on you for everything. Amen.

Ready for his first day.

Day 2 - Of course, I had to get a pic in the blue uniform

While Hunter was gone, Millie enjoyed painting...

and getting her nails done...


and going on a date to KFC with Mommy, Daddy and Will.


Hunter with his new friend, Carson.

Hunter and Coach Mary...a great coach for him!

No comments: