Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Day for the Girls


 Millie asked me last week if we could have a girl date with me, her, and my mom. Today we dressed up, got all fancy, and met my sister for a girl date at the English Rose Tea Room in downtown Chattanooga. It was such a sweet lunch. Millie went right for making her own cup of tea. Lots of cream and sugar. She drank 4 cups (which also means lots of caffeine) during the course of the meal. She ate finger sandwiches of ham and cheese, cucumber and cream cheese, and cucumber and salmon. While she didn't care for the cucumber and salmon, I was impressed that she tried everything and liked the other cucumber sandwiches. She enjoyed being in charge of stirring the homemade vinaigrette. We topped off the lunch with a piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream and strawberries.


It was one of those days when Millie had the freedom to make lots of choices and try new things, and it was such a treasure to see her in a new way. I saw glimpses of the future woman my daughter will be as she sipped her tea and held her tea cup every so daintily. I told my mom that I think she sensed that she was with the adults and did not want to miss a beat, so she stepped up and entered this big-girl world for a little while. And I loved entering her world where sipping out of a pretty cup was such a delight and eating rich, fancy foods with dear sisters and family was savored. Thank you, Lord, for such a fun, special day with my daughter.


 With Mimi waiting on Aunt Jenn to arrive


 Sipping from her little girl sized "Princess"cup




Aunt Jenn was by far Millie's favorite guest on our date

 
 Three generations - Of 7 grandchildren on the Burger side, 
Millie is the only girl in the lot

Ah, the privilege of being this girl's Mommy.

5 comments:

volscats said...

I love this picture of you and Millie! So sweet. I wish I could have brought M along...warms my heart the girlie things.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss you guys. Can' wait to see you this weekend. Thanks for sharing

Alicia said...

What a great post and great pictures. You look great!

newmanfamily said...

So sweet!! That picture of you and Millie is just precious!!

Life With Lucy said...

She looks like a teenager! Can't get over how big and beautiful she is!