Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Ice Cream Truck


Hunter has been interested lately in riding his big boy bike (still with training wheels). He even asked if we could take a walk so that he could ride it around the neighborhood. We have not gotten him out on his bike much, so we wanted to capitalize on his new-found enthusiasm for it.

This afternoon, after Donny got home from school, we put Millie in a stroller and headed down the street for a stroll/bike ride with the kids. As we were walking, we heard the sound of an ice cream truck. There we were, in the middle of our stroll, and I just had to get my kids ice cream.

It was one of those "firsts" that seemed small but meant something to me. I do not often throw logic aside, but this afternoon I did.

It was right before dinner. The ice cream would probably ruin their appetites. Did that matter? No.

Hunter was on his bike, so the ice cream would probably melt on our way home. Did that matter? No.

Millie was in one of my favorite shirts of hers, so there was a high likelihood of drippage. Did that matter? Well, yes, but I just crossed my fingers and let that one go.

The ice cream was more than I typically pay for an entire carton of ice cream...much less two bars that would be gone within minutes. Did that matter? Not at all.

It was our first time getting ice cream from the ice cream truck. A special treat for sure. I know there will be days I will say "no" when they hear that little song luring them outside for treats galore...but today it was fun to say yes and see the delight in their eyes as we let them choose anything from the truck. We came away with a Dora popsicle (the only girl option) and a Sonic popsicle...and four smiling Friederichsens...thankful for a special few moments shared today over dripping ice cream from the ice cream truck.

Once we got home, I covered Millie's favorite shirt with this pirate shirt.

That was a Sonic the Hedghog popsicle.
Now it's mainly two green gumball eyes with some ice cream left around them.

1 comment:

volscats said...

Reading this brings back memories from elementary school and just waiting for that little song to come down the street.