Friday, March 15, 2013

A Week in Our Homeschooling: Day Two - Friday

I. am. tired. Really, really tired. This is why:


This little buddy took a tumble from concrete stairs outside yesterday and has a pretty big knot on the back of his head and a pretty big scrape and bruise on his cheek. This is in addition to the large scratch he got on his chin on Tuesday courtesy of an unruly toddler in the YMCA childcare. My little guy was waking up a lot last night, so Donny and I decided to put him in the bed with us last night. For the whole night. In my 8 1/2 years of parenting, I have never had one of my children spend an entire night in our bed. Will has always been the one to bust my "nevers" of parenting. Way to go, buddy.

Anyway, this pic was taken at 1:30 this afternoon as I put him down for his nap. Last night, however, the only comfy place was in Mommy's arms. It wasn't too bad. There were parts of it that were really sweet...but I am tired.

I was thankful this morning that we did not have a ton to accomplish for school. I front-load my school week, so we do a lot on Mondays, and we actually do a lot on Thursdays. Wednesdays are our Classical Conversations class, and Tuesdays are always weird, because I lead a small group with our church on Tuesday mornings. By Fridays we usually just have to do reading and math with Millie and math and spelling with Hunter. No history or grammar on Fridays. Donny is also usually off on Fridays, so I try to leave time open to spend with him as well.

So here's how the day has gone...

7:00 a.m. - Coffee, devotion, Millie came down, and I helped her with Math assignment in her notebook.  Will woke up around 7:30, so he and Donny were up to start the day with us as well.

8:00 - I headed to CVS and the A&P to get a few things and snag a few Easter deals before Donny left later in the morning for a quick trip to Atlanta. Donny kindly stayed home and did breakfast for the kids.

9:00 - Once I got home from my errands, Millie, Will and Hunter and I gathered around the dining room table. I gave Millie her math assessment and quizzed her on some counting, Will played with pattern blocks, and I also gave Hunter his spelling test. I love it when they are all three around the table working.

9:30 - Millie read "My Pet Fred" to me from our A Beka kindergarten readers, and I gave her a spelling bee from the words in the book (Donny joined us for that.).

10:00 - Hunter and I went downstairs to the schoolroom for math. Thankfully it was a pretty easy lesson on finding the area of a rectangle. One more reason why I love Classical Conversations: Hunter had already learned in his memory work that the area of a rectangle equals length times width. This morning's lesson was fun because I was able to take that memory work and explain it more fully and see his understanding grow. He also beat a record on his timed subtraction test, so it was a good math day for him. Millie and Will watched a Leapfrog phonics video while Hunter and I did math. I also spent some time looking over next week's math while Hunter was doing some of his math. In an ideal world I will get their notebooks filled over the weekend so they will be ready first thing Monday morning.

10:30 - Hunter met Donny in our blue chairs (where Donny and I read/study) in the living room to review CC memory work. Donny quizzed him on a little bit of most of his subjects. Will got a snack and went into pack and play time, Millie played freely, and I typed bullet points about my morning so that I wouldn't forget.

11:30 - Donny left for the airport (sniff, sniff).

12:15 p.m. - I had plans to take the kids to the gym and the library after Donny's departure and before Will's nap. Between our slowness to get lunch and put shoes on, Will's runny nose, and the underlying fear that Will's face might undergo some other form of disfigurement, we only made it to the library. Hunter and Millie looked freely for books, and then we all went in search of books on knights, castles, and the Middle Ages. We are right in the middle of that period in history right now in Story of the World, so the kids enjoyed finding some books on the subject. We also picked out a few movies to choose from tonight for pizza and a movie (a frequent Friday night tradition for us).

1:30 p.m. - Home from the library, Will is falling asleep in my arms. Thankfully he stayed asleep even though I hadn't cleaned up his toys from pack n play time. I snapped a few pictures of my poor, bruised sleeping baby and headed downstairs. I sent a few emails and didn't do much. Really, really tired at this point. I had intentions of quizzing Hunter on all of his math facts for CC. I asked him to skip count the 13s, and then I was done. I hope to do that later this afternoon...but, if I'm honest, it's doubtful. I'll actually probably have him sit down and recite his math to me at some point tomorrow. He begins his memory work testing in about a week.

2:30 p.m. - I sent the kids up for book time. Hunter is reading again today to Millie for the entire time. I ate a little lunch, turned on last night's episode of Project Runway, got bored, felt tired (again), and made my way to the computer to type this post (or I would surely make every excuse not to type tonight once the kids are asleep).

3:30 p.m. - Still typing and there is too much giggling upstairs for reading to happen. After one warning, I sent Hunter to his room (They were in Millie's room.) for them to finish book time separately. Will is still sleeping.

UPDATE: Fridays are usually pizza and a movie night. Three of the movies we picked out as options had medieval themes (albeit very loosely related). The kids are watching Mickey's The Prince and the Pauper. Very exciting to see the map of England and recognize feudalism being played out in Mickey's medieval world. Sooo...that's school too, right??? :)

So there you are. Fridays are much more relaxed. Math for both, reading for Millie, and spelling for Hunter. Usually something fun like the library or just extra hang time at the house. Book time in the afternoon...and then SATURDAY is coming!!! We all look forward to Saturdays where we can wake up and do whatever. I have big dreams of cleaning. We'll see how much actually gets done.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: