Monday, November 19, 2012

All I Want for Christmas...


One thing on my Christmas list this year. Only one thing:



For our dosser to land in Ethiopia

Yep, you read it. Dossier. Ethiopia. 

We. Are. Adopting.

And we couldn't be more excited. 

The Lord put adoption in Donny's heart early in our marriage. He mentioned it periodically. Enough to keep it in my mind but not too often to overwhelm me. And along I came. During our transition from seminary to our church in New Jersey, I had this feeling that our family was not fully complete, but I didn't feel the strong need/desire to have any more biological children. Thus the Lord kindly aligned my desire with my husband's and in June of this year, we sat down and decided to adopt internationally. Over chinese food. In our dining room. 

Nothing too magical happened. No smoke and lights or shooting stars from the sky. I will say that the Lord greatly used this article from a woman name Jen Hatmaker (who I seldom read but hear is great) as the tipping point for me. On June 5, 2012, after reading that blog post, I sent Donny a message on Facebook while he was at work that read:

I'm a little hormonal this morning, but I think we need to adopt.

We decided to go out on June 8 for a date to discuss things further. Our babysitters cancelled last minute, so we ordered Chinese in. As we started talking, Donny told me that if he had responded to my facebook post right away, he would have written: "OK," but he thought that might be a little too abrupt. I love that the Lord gave us such oneness at the right time. There was nothing to discuss in terms of the actual decision. The Lord was clearly leading us on a path to adopt, and we were ready to follow.

This pretty well sums up how I feel right now...




More to come...




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!

Gen A said...

Having been a fan of the previous blog, from which this is a spinoff, (Donny Does Seminary) I am looking forward to each new episode - and excited about the addition of a new character.
Hope all is well.

Lcarrvol said...

not having had biological children, only 2 adopted, domestically & internationally, I do believe that God created each of them just as uniquuely designed for us as He would have otherwise and in His perfect timing, as well...from conception to delivery into our arms! What a blessing they and the whole experience have been, & still is after 20 years !!! sending prayers your way!!

Keri Armentrout said...

Exciting! What a blessing all around! I love that you are just obedient. Doesn't have to be a clouds-parting awesome experience, just a Spirit-filled life of submission.