Friday, November 07, 2008

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

To get to OVIEDO!

Although we have lived in Orlando for over a year, we moved this summer to a small town in the northeast corner of Orlando called Oviedo. Oviedo is fun. We are a few miles away from all the conveniences of modern civilization, BUT...we are also minutes away from a very quaint downtown area that is full of charm...and chickens!!! Yes, I said chickens. Downtown Oviedo is known for their chickens. There is a town square where I go to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship), and you can very often roll your windows down and hear the "cocka-doodle-doo" of a rooster or literally see a chicken crossing the road. It's hilarious.

If you look up Oviedo on Wikipedia, part of the entry includes this:

Oviedo is known for a population of chickens that roam the downtown area, ironically near the restaurant Popeyes. There are so many of them roaming the area that often traffic stops as they cross the roads. The chickens have been featured on Oviedo t-shirts and coffee mugs and a poster commemorating one of Oviedo's annual civic festivals, "A Taste of Oviedo". There are specific laws and statutes regarding the chickens, both for their protection.

Chicken behind Popeyes

Anyway, the kids and I always enjoy driving through downtown and seeing the chickens ("bock bocks" as Millie likes to call them). We went to the library on Thursday (which is a good mile from the downtown square where the chickens mostly reside), and, lo and behold, there were two chickens in the front lawn of the library. The hilarious thing is that they both flew up into a tree. Did you know chickens could take flight? I know they have wings (I like them with Buffalo and ranch sauce), but I had no idea they could actually fly.

Of course, I had to take a picture...I took a few that I was not satisfied with. I went closer, got my pic, and then the chicken started growling. For real...it was growling. I quickly took a few steps back, got the kids, and we left the chickens high on their perch above the library to stake their territory.

Hunter is sometimes afraid they will peck us. Parking for BSF is limited, so we park near the consignment store where they live and walk to Bible Study. Whenever we get out of the car, a chicken will follow us down the sidewalk. I somehow feel like they are shooing us away from their territory.

So...why did the chicken cross the road? To get to Oviedo. It's home to quite a few. The truly do rule the roost in our little downtown. Come down for a visit. Walk away with the bumper sticker: "I brake for Oviedo chickens."

The chicken in front of the Oviedo Library...right before it began growling at me.

2 comments:

newmanfamily said...

That is funny. I asked Burt about it because he lived in Oviedo his last year of college. I guess that is something oblivious to a college student. We do notice the roosters each time we are in Key West though. They wake us up everytime we are on vacation down there.
Lori

Kat said...

I drive from Waterford Lakes to Lake Mary every day to go to work, and traffic is pretty consistent. What I really need is not a traffic report but a GPS view of where the Oviedo chickens (roosters) are before I pass through Oviedo. No kidding - and mind you I do find it amusing - but the biggest potential reason for my being late to work is because the chicken crossed the road. I actually had to tell that to my boss once. Response: "OMG, really? That is the best you can come up with?" Clearly she has never been to Oviedo. LOL